Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Little Women

Why have I never read this book before? I'm almost finished it and it's made me actually laugh out loud, and cry real tears.

Why did I never read it?

Thinking on that, it seems that I've associated it with all the other 'female classics', such as Jane Austen and the Bronte's. And I was turned off Jane Austen for life when we did Persuasion for A-Level English Lit. So maybe I thought it was going to be boring and dusty and dry...

But it's nothing like that at all - it's funny and poignant and you can even forgive Marmee's sermons and moral tales because they work with the story. The descriptions of fashion and food and social life are wonderful and by only couple of chapters in you feel you know the girls so well. Personally, Jo is my favourite.

Will add to this once I've finished it :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jax Blunt said...

If that one made you cry, I don't suggest you read the sequels...

so what would you recommend by Jane Austen Alison?

February 12, 2005 at 2:02 PM  
Blogger Jax Blunt said...

Might have to give one of those a go then - got put off literature by my schooling and then a very snobby boyfriend at university who didn't think I was bright enough to appreciate it.

February 14, 2005 at 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home