Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Books galore

I have suddenly realised that I have an awful lot of unread books kicking about the house.

This is partialy due to me having no time, but has been exacerbated by my appalling addiction to eBay, Amazon and the Book People. A week doesn't go by without me buying books of some genre or other.

I have to admit, they're mainly non-fiction, but I've collected a few fictions that I should really read (or rather, should have already read and haven't).

As an example, I shall list the books that litter my computer desk:

Gardening & Planting by the Moon 2005; Nick Kollerstrom
The Wisdom of No Escape; Pema Chodron
The HandBook of Homemade Power; Mother Earth News
The Survival Handbook; Michael Allaby
Essential Bushcraft; Ray Mears
How Children Fail; John Holt
Meditations; Marcus Aurelius
Snow White & Rose Red; Ladybird book
On Next to Nothing; Thomas and Susan Hinde (edited to add this one after it fell off the top of my desk into my lap...)

On Saturday I received a package from Amazon.co.uk... in it were the above mentioned Gardening & Planting by the Moon, and the Wisdom of No Escape. As well as a book for a friend of mine, and 3 books by Betty Shine for DH.

And yesterday a box from the Book People landed, containing:
Grow Your Own Vegetables; Joy Larkcom
Preserved; Nick Sandler and Johnny Acton
Delia's Kitchen Garden; Gay Search & Delia Smith
Usborne Farmyard Tales - Children's Cookbook
And a packet of KS1 workbooks for my eldest.

And I was going to leave it here for a time, except I just glanced at the chaos that is my dining table, and spotted another pile of books in the corner -
One-to-One; Gareth Lewis
The Art of Education; Dobson
The Allotment Handbook; Caroline Foley
The Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency; John Seymour (1996 edition)
Self-Sufficiency; John & Sally Seymour (1977 edition)
Organic Bible; Bob Flowerdew
How to Grow More Vegetables; Jeavons

Are you beginning to see a theme here?

And having just cleared the stack of books from next to my bed and brought them downstairs for re-homing, we have the following on the kitchen counter:
The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying; Sogyal Rinpoche
If the Spirit Moves You; Justine Picardie
Little Women; Lousia M Alcott
Animal Farm; George Orwell
Hedgewitch; Rae Beth

And I haven't even mentioned the book case in the living room... nor the boxes in our garage... or the boxes in DH's parents conservatory... all full of books. Do you reckon there's a Bibliophiles Anonnymous?


4 Comments:

Blogger Jax Blunt said...

If there is I'll join in with you ;)

February 1, 2005 at 1:58 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

Alison - please send any books you are making homeless this way! We'd never turn a poor, unwanted book away in the cold, dark night...

(just don't tell DH!)

February 2, 2005 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger Jax Blunt said...

nothing at all, Alison, nothing at all...

February 19, 2005 at 4:45 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Happened across this and realised that you are the Kris on the MP ring when I decided to leave a comment (waves)

ANyway - books - we have a similar situation. But I won't let any book go (well, unless Its been procured with that purpose in the first place, quite a good way of getting chicklit into the house, lol) which is why we have a storage unit that has several boxes full.

Just started to add gardening books and magazines to my burgeoning collection as well.

Which reminds me - there are books I need to read again that aren't at home so a trip to liberate a box (or three) from storage is in order I think......

Oh - and is the John Seymour any good? I keep seeing it in bookshops but don't have book money... well, not officially...

March 7, 2005 at 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home